I have been working on my grandmothers flower garden quilt but have not taken photos lately. My original plan was to have this be 10 flowers wide by 12 flowers long. I am nearly there. I just need to add one more row of colored flowers and two more rows of cream colored flowers
It currently measures about 60 ” by 68″. I need to start thinking about how I am going to finish the edges and if I will put a border on or not. I started this at the end of March in 2013. My goal is to have the top pieced by the end of March 2014… I think I can do this!
I am linking up to Life under Quilts Monday morning star count. I needed to purchase a new cord in order to connect my camera to my computer so that I could show my progress. Next week I will be back on track!
I am so happy that the Monday morning star count is back at http://www.lifeunderquilts.blogspot.co.uk
I discovered this paper piecing link party and a few short weeks later it was done. I am happy that it is back as I love to see what others are working on and it gives me inspiration as I work on my grandmother flower garden quilt.
I started in March of 2013 and am nearing completion of the basting and joining together of flowers. Here is a photo of the sections side by side, I am working on two sections and then will join them together so that I am not handling the entire quilt.
I have enough colored flowers made
And now need to make more of the cream flowers
Sorry my colors are not true as these photos were taken at night.
Here is my travel kit, although I do most of my stitching at home in front of the television
I have not decided on a border as yet, I am leaning towards hand quilting this even though I know it will take me a few years.
2013 was the year that I really became a quilter. I am amazed at how many projects I was able to complete this year. There are a few more things that I made but did not take photos of and I have lots of projects on the go. Its fun to look back and see what I accomplished.
My goals this year are to learn how to paper piece and to make some baby quilts for new step grandbaby who is due in June. I also want to get my Grandmothers Flower Garden top completed and then figure out if I will hand or machine quilt it.
I finished the quilt for my son last night. The entire top is made from recycled men’s shirts, even the binding. The quilt evolved as I was making it and took on a life of its own. I had not planned to use the cheddar striped sashing, but I am glad I did as I think it ties the quilt together.
Close up view
Dare I start another project before Christmas???
I had two quilts to finish in time for Christmas presents. I finished this batik quilt tonight. My husband bought me the jelly roll strips for Mothers Day, I used some of the strips in my Grandmothers Flower Garden quilt that is still in progress and made this lap quilt with the remaining strips.
I think the recipient will like this, to me its a happy quilt. Now to get the last quilt basted and machine stitched this weekend. I am determined not to be sewing on binding on Christmas Eve…lol
I made this quilt top a while ago and had not finished it. There was a virtual quilt weekend happening at Quiltingboard.com this weekend and that was the push I needed to get it done.
I followed the tutorial on Wedding Dress Blue and it was very simple to do. The directions were very easy to follow and understandable. It was made with lots and lots of 2 inch squares. My squares don’t always line up and the sashing is not perfect so I chose to free motion quilt each section differently and do lots of quilting on the sashing .
It may not be perfect but its a very scrappy quilt and I love the look of it.
And I am happy to have another quilt done.
Wow , I can’t believe how much time has gone by since my last post. The cruise was wonderful. It rained at some point everyday but we expected that and were prepared with rain jackets and umbrellas. The highlight of our trip was a bus trip to the Yukon!
When I have not been working on my hexagon quilt, I have been busy sewing 9 patches together all summer long. These are made from recycled men’s shirts that I bought at thrift stores and “deboned” and cut in two inch strips. I have nearly got the top all pieced.
I still need to finish one more piano key border for the side
And then find a place big enough to lay it out to baste! This will be one of the largest quilts I have made.
I think I have used 13 shirts so far, it has cost me about $10 for the shirts. The biggest expense will be the batting and the thread! I have used a lot of thread and will use massive quantities of thread for the quilting.
Some how I still have lots of leftover strips and pieces, it must be true that scraps multiply overnight!